Cheerio! It has been five days since I left New York and four since I have arrived in London. I was hoping to have this blog up and running a bit earlier, but I had a few difficulties with my computer adapter burning up... I didn't quite need to call the fire brigade, but let's say that it was enough of a problem that I couldn't spend much time on the computer when I first arrived. Luckily I have everything sorted out now and I have a power adapter that the chaplain at Queen Mary gave to me for free for visiting the chapel.
Although seeing my power adapter smoking in my room only hours after I arrived was a bit shocking, the true surprise of the day was that I managed to pack my bags below the weight limit! Who knew it was possible for the girl who typically packs an entire suitcase full of shoes to survive on two pairs of pumps, two pairs of boots, two pairs of flip flops, a pair of zebra printed rain boots (thanks for the gift, mommy!), and a pair of sneakers, or trainers, as they say here.
After arriving at the airport with my parents and checking my bags, we still had a few hours to spare despite driving through massive traffic due to the near-tornadoes hitting the island the day before. We decided to get something to eat and to do a little bit of shopping in the airport. Finally, after what had been essentially months of waiting, I stepped onto the airplane to London. The flight attendant greeted me "Cheerio!" and I took my seat. The flight was great. Despite my glass of Cabernet, I was just too excited to get much sleep, so I watched Sex and the City on the personal TVs and spent my time relaxing. I landed, excitedly, in London and made my way to customs to wait for several hours to finally get into the country! Once I walked out of the terminal, I was met by friendly QMUL staff and students and made my way to the coach that took us to campus. I tried to snap a few pictures on the bus of the sights we passed and I chatted with the people sitting next to me. I became friendly with the girl sitting next to me, who it turns out lives in the flat below mine. We have spent every day together so far, hanging out with a group of some of my flatmates and some of her flatmates. The small world that it is, she goes to college with an old friend of mine from high school!
Once I got to my room, I moved in my things, which were hardly more than clothes, shoes, and Disney Princess bandaids. I set off on a quest with my new friend, Lauren, from the bus, to buy toiletries, blankets, pillows, food, and other things we would need. I was mostly successful, despite the fact that every store in the area seemed to be sold out of clothes hangers and duvets. Oh well, I slept in sweatpants and a sweatshirt for my first few nights, and the duvet I ordered should hopefully be in stock tomorrow. Despite the fact that we were jet-lagged and hadn't slept in about 48 hours, we decided to go out for the night to Draper's, the bar on campus. After a fun night, I got back into my bed with only sheets on it and crashed, and didn't wake up until after noon the next day.
Speaking of crashing, it's late now and I am going to go to bed, but I will post some details of the rest of my adventures in the near future.
xoxo
No comments:
Post a Comment