Tuesday, 28 September 2010

Things I miss from home and/ or Richmond

I've only been here for a week, so I am sure that this list will get longer as my semester goes on, but there are definitely a few things I miss so far.  And keep in mind these are THINGS, not people... it goes without saying that I miss all of you already. xoxo

1. Solo cups.  People here actually drink out of glasses... like made of glass.   Not only am I probably going to drop and shatter every glass in my flat by the end of the term, but also, how am I supposed to teach my flatmates how to play beer pong?  And yes, I have searched multiple stores trying to find anything remotely resembling solo cups.  The closest I have found so far are these tiny paper cups with butterflies on them that hold probably about 6 oz of liquid.  I guess I'll have to try them soon.  At least they look cute!

2.  Nestle Toll House chocolate chips.  Anyone who knows me knows my slight obsession with baking.  I can't even make my classic cookies... they don't have semisweet chocolate chips here.  For that matter, they hardly have any chocolate chips here.  I found milk chocolate chips that cost like 3 pounds (roughly about 5 American dollars) for 100 grams.  No thank you, I like my 12 oz (about 340g) package of Nestle Toll House chocolate chips for under $5.

3.  American measuring cups.  I guess it will be good dimensional analysis practice to convert my recipes into milliliters. 

4.  New York pizza.  Self-explanatory.  I miss it even if I only leave the state for a day.

5.  Margaritas.  I can't get them anywhere here.  Apparently there is a Mexican restaurant somewhere in the City that makes them... I need to find this place. 

6.  People who wear flip flops.  It is like shunned here.  I am the only person who does it, and when I do, EVERYONE knows that I am an American. 

7.  Grinding.  Sure it looks trashy, but it's secretly so much fun.  Personal space on the dance floor is overrated anyway. 

8.  My pomegranate scented body wash.  It smells sooo good any I can't find anything similar here. 

9.  My mattress.  I can literally feel every spring digging into my body when I go to bed.  I've actually woken up in the middle of the night and debated switching to sleeping on the floor because it might possibly be more comfortable. 

10.  Having a dresser.  Sure I didn't pack ALL of my clothes, but it is weird having to stack my clothes on the shelves above my desk and in my desk drawers, because there is no dresser. 

At least I know exactly what I am looking forward to (other than seeing friends and family) when I get home :)

update:
11.  Football games.  Like American football.  Especially my spiders at the beautiful brand new Robins Stadium.

12.  Sundresses.  I don't know how I could have not written this on my initial list.  Not wearing sundresses here is probably the only way that I was able to pack my bags below the weight limit because they make up nearly half of my wardrobe at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment