Sunday, 3 October 2010

more checkmarks!

I officially have three more bright pink checks on my London to-do list!   I'm having a lazy Sunday right now so I should finally be able to get my blog up to date with what I did this weekend. :)

I started off my weekend with a trip to see the Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace.  Unfortunately tours of the stateroom inside the palace end on October 1st, and we went October 2nd.  Oh well.  The Changing of the Guard ceremony was very cool though.  London bobbies in their traditional hats blocked off the road in front of the Palace, and the Guard band came in playing traditional military marching music.  The soldiers marched by in their traditional bearskins and red tunics.  It was very crowded at the ceremony and we had a hard time seeing the actual ceremony, so I think I'll try to go back again another day and arrive earlier to get a better spot. 

Soldiers at the Changing of the Guard



After the ceremony, my friend Lauren and I walked past St. James's park to see Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament.  We enjoyed the beautiful sunny, warm weather the whole way, and I am sure we will be missing it very, very soon.  Once we got to Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament, we took a few pictures and made our way back to campus.  Lauren went back to her room to do work, and I met another friend, Hannah, at Westfield mall!  I bought a few cute things to bring back home with me.  In one store, River Island (which is probably comparable to Express or a similar store in the US) I found this dress with a spider on it!  I thought it was super creepy, but it reminded me of Richmond so I had to take a picture... Doesn't it look a bit like Ethyl's pin?! 

Me in front of Big Ben-- look it is exactly noon!  The bells were ringing!
The dress with a spider on it!
After having a fairly British day, I went back to Lauren's for a makeshift American style theme party in her flat.  It was lots of fun to show the Brits how Americans do theme parties and how we dance!  Even though it was just a small party in the flat downstairs, it was possibly the most fun party I have been to since being in this country. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment