Wednesday, 6 October 2010

Primark!!

Yesterday, I went shopping at a very well-known UK store called Primark.  The store is located on Oxford Street, which is the "high street" of the city.  There is only one located in central London, so it was VERY crowded with people trying to get unbelievable bargains.  There were people EVERYWHERE... as a little visual comparison, it reminded me a bit of working Black Friday at Hollister.  This was just on a random Tuesday evening.  I can't imagine how busy it must get during more peak shopping times, like weekends or right before Christmas.

I am not exactly sure how to describe the store... maybe as a mix between Forever 21 and Walmart.  I know that sounds like a very strange combination... but that's because it is true.  Primark sells lots of really inexpensive clothes... but most of them very trendy in a Forever 21 way.  There are basics, like t shirts for £2 or flats for £4, and then there are also really trendy tops, dresses, jeans, bags, accessories... just about everything! :)  They are definitely get-what-you-pay-for quality, but for fun outfits to go out in, Primark clothes are great.  Who  cares if you accidentally spill something on your top or scuff your shoes if they cost less than the cab fare to get to the club? 

Primark also sells inexpensive decorative housewear items (this is what reminded me of Walmart) like bedding and towels.  Their prices are great because I can get cute things for my bedroom and bathroom here without feeling like they are a total waste since I know I won't be taking them home with me (let's be real, every last centimeter of my luggage home will be filled with all the new clothes and shoes I am buying in London-- from Primark or not). 

Anyway, maybe having somewhere cheap like Primark to shop will mean that I will never have to do laundry... because despite the fact that I am studying abroad in an English speaking country, I managed to buy what I believe is fabric softener instead of detergent.  I was so proud of my 85p bargain (from the grocery store, not Primark)... until I tried to wash my clothes with it and realized it was not detergent.  And to think that I was going to help a British friend of mine here do her own "washing" for the first time ever (nearly all of my British friends here have NEVER done laundry... their mothers still do it for them at home!)... but it looks like I'll be the one needing help... oops!

No comments:

Post a Comment